A year ago today, Brasilian football club Corinthians notched a historic victory over Boca Juniors in the final of the 2012 Libertadores Cup. To recognize that memorable night, Corinthians gives fans another way to show their support and passion for the club with the launch of a third jersey for the 2013 season. The club and Nike unveiled the new shirt at Arena Selecao – the new Nike store in Sao Paulo.
As part of the celebration, Corinthians honored two of the club’s great heroes: Rivelino, one of the greatest players to sport the iconic black and white jersey, and Miranda, the team’s beloved kit man since 1964, with the “Alvinegro” Order of Merit, the club’s highest honor.
Inspired by the team’s kit worn on November 16, 1965, when Corinthians represented the Brasilian national team in a friendly against Arsenal in London, the new third kit features a royal blue jersey with white details on the classic polo collar and cuffs.
The innovative double-sided sleeves and collar reveal a combination of black with white pinstripes that reflecting the club's classic home kit when folded back. The inscription "És do Brasil o clube mais brasileiro – 16 de novembro 1965" ("Is in Brasil the most Brasilian club") is on the inside of the collar, a reference to a part of the club anthem and another tribute to the Arsenal match. In black and white, the Brasilian flag sits next to the date '1965' in the center. The jersey is paired with blue shorts and white socks.
The new kit showcases Nike's commitment to provide players with the latest performance innovation and reduced impact on the environment.
- The shirt and short of each kit are made from up to 13 recycled plastic water bottles. In a pioneering process, plastic bottles are chopped into flakes, then melted down to form yarn that is spun into polyester fabric, reducing energy consumption by up to 30 percent, compared to manufacturing virgin polyester.
- Since 2010, Nike has diverted more than 1.1 billion plastic bottles from landfill through the use of recycled polyester.
LIGHTER AND COOLER WITH NIKE DRI-FIT
- The kit weighs just 150 grams, 23 percent lighter than previous kits. It boasts a 20 percent stronger knit structure and significantly improved stretch.
- The fabric uses Nike Dri-FIT technology to draw sweat away from the body and through the fabric where it can evaporate, helping to keep players cool and dry.
- Underarm and waistband ventilation zones of tiny laser-cut holes allow additional comfort and cooling. A mesh panel across the entire back increases air circulation.
FIT AND CONSTRUCTION
- The shirt’s bonded T-bars support the seams at key points and inner-welded seams have a clean finish to give a more striking appearance, while also increasing comfort and performance.
The new Corinthians third kit is available beginning July 8 at Nike.com.