Today the Miami Dolphins unveiled the team’s new NFL Nike Elite 51 Uniform design for the 2013 NFL season. The uniform is a completely integrated system of dress featuring a refined color palette as well as updated numbers and fonts that represent South Florida's beautiful environment and the Dolphins' strong team heritage.
Miami was awarded an AFL franchise in 1965 and joined the NFL in 1970, a time when the city was booming with lights, sounds and colors. Travel was becoming more accessible and television presented a bold, eccentric new way to view the game of football. The Miami Dolphins uniform design of that era drew from the vibrant hues of the city — aqua, coral and white — a combination never before seen on the football field.
The newly redesigned Dolphins uniform stays true to its roots while harnessing the city’s modern, cutting-edge characteristics for a more refined head-to-toe look that embodies what it means to be a Miami Dolphin.
Miami’s sun and South Florida waters serve as the foundation for the Dolphins uniform aesthetic. The purposefully simplistic design is sharpened by the use of new materials, sheen and color consolidation. Nike designers worked closely with the NFL and the Dolphins to elevate, lighten and brighten the existing color palette, taking them back to their roots. The updated hues reflect the blues in the water, as well as the orange in the sun and glow of the city, to create a consistent look from head to toe.
“Miami’s new Nike Elite 51 uniform design is a true reflection of their culture – modern, refined and bold,” said Todd Van Horne, Global VP and Creative Director for Nike Football. “This highly innovative uniform system allows for zero distractions on the field and provides a fresh updated look to take the team into the 2013 season.“
The new helmet sheen features a sparkled finish to reflect the sand, as well as a refined stripe pattern with a pop of orange, to highlight the horizon. The same stripe pattern is carried throughout the uniform into the new number and font design and through the stripe in the pant. The uniform also proudly features the "MIAMI" wordmark on the outside back of the pant and in the inside back of the neckline.
“As an athlete, you don’t want to worry about your uniform out on the field. It’s good that Nike thinks about the details so we don’t have to,” said Miami Dolphins wide receiver Mike Wallace. "Look good, feel good, play good — that’s what it’s all about.”
THE NIKE ELITE 51 UNIFORM – AN INTEGRATED SYSTEM OF DRESS
Designed and engineered from the inside out, the NFL Nike Elite 51 uniform focuses on creating a system where the baselayer, padding, jersey and pant work in concert. Lightweight padding is also integrated directly into the crucial “hit zones” in the baselayer. New innovations include integrated Flywire technology in the neckline to reduce weight and provide lockdown fit over pads, increased sleeve articulation for better range of motion, and all-over four-way stretch fabrication to provide a streamlined shrink-wrap fit.
As the official uniform supplier of the NFL, Nike provides all on-field, baselayer, sideline and practice wear for the league’s 32 teams. The new Dolphins fan jerseys are scheduled to go on sale today at nike.com, NFLShop.com and Dolphins.com, and at broader retail locations including Nike stores beginning April 26.
NIKE ELITE 51 UNIFORM FEATURES
- LIGHTER –The Nike jersey and pant, wet or dry are lighter than previous versions.
- FLYWIRE TECHNOLOGY — Eliminates layers, reduces weight and provides lockdown fit to keep the jersey in place.
- ZONED MESH VENTILATION – Provides cooling zones for optimal thermoregulation.
- ZONED STRENGTH — High tenacity stretch material for lightweight lockdown strength.
- CUT FOR MOBILITY – Four-way stretch, hydrophobic materials enable range of motion wet or dry.
- STRETCH TWILL NUMBERS – Four-way stretch even on numbering system.
- BASELAYER DEFLEX PADDING – Nike Pro Combat Hyperstrong baselayer with integrated, lightweight Deflex padding offering customizable flexible protection.
- DEFLEX PADDING — Lightweight, flexible impact protection integrated into top “hit zone” areas.
- ALUMINUM D-RING BELT — Aircraft-grade aluminum D-ring belt reduces weight.
- NIKE VAPOR GAME SOCK – A highly innovative sock designed specifically for football. The knee-high design combines compression, Nike Pro DeFlex-inspired cushioning, mesh venting and structure precisely where needed.
The uniform also features the Nike Vapor Jet 2.0 Glove, a lightweight, breathable and articulated fit combined with innovative Magnigrip material on the palms and between the fingers for a tacky grip suitable for all weather conditions. The new team logo is featured prominently on the palm when athletes interlock both hands.
The Nike Alpha Pro Cleat is designed for explosive speed with an adaptive Nike Flywire support structure that creates an anatomical fit resulting in more stability while locking the foot in place.