Today Nike and the Minnesota Vikings unveiled the team's new NFL Nike Elite 51 Uniform design for the 2013 NFL season. The uniform is a completely integrated system of dress featuring a modern representation of Viking folklore merged with a deeply respected football culture.
Nike designers and the NFL worked closely with Viking athletes, coaches and administrators to truly understand what makes a Viking, researching the roots of traditional ancient Viking culture and examining the powerful characteristics of the Vikings football team of today.
The environment in Minnesota also served as a foundation for the Vikings new design – a harsh yet beautiful combination of land, water and weather. Vikings — men of adventure, strength and exploration — built their ships and tools with a refined craftsmanship and ornamentation. Accordingly, the uniform design features strong simple lines that reflect the curves in the bow of a Viking ship. The same design lines are seen on ancient Viking horns, which now appear as a shiny accent on the new matte purple football helmets.
“There’s a harshness to the environment in Minnesota and it really creates a strength within those who live here,” said Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway. "The new uniforms are simple and powerful, and this design truly feels like us. I couldn’t be more proud to wear it this season.”
The Vikings color palette stays true to tradition while featuring a refreshed brighter gold accent that allows the purple to stand out. The unique new numbers and font are reminiscent of early Vikings uniform designs but now feature curved serifs that reflect the bow of a Viking ship. The Vikings wordmark is proudly positioned on the front of the jersey.
As a reminder to the athletes as they suit up for the season, the inside back jersey neckline features a simple ornamental design similar to those seen in traditional Norse culture.
“The Nike Elite 51 uniform gives us a highly innovative, performance-led canvas to really tell the Viking story,” said Todd Van Horne, Nike’s Global VP and Creative Director for Nike Football. “This new design is a modern representation of the Viking culture and makes a simple, yet powerful statement.”
THE NIKE ELITE 51 UNIFORM – AN INTEGRATED SYSTEM OF DRESS
Designed and engineered from the inside out, the NFL Nike Elite 51 uniform focuses on creating a system where the baselayer, padding, jersey and pant work in concert. Lightweight padding is also integrated directly into the crucial “hit zones” in the baselayer. New innovations include integrated Flywire technology in the neckline to reduce weight and provide lockdown fit over pads, increased sleeve articulation for better range of motion, and all-over four-way stretch fabrication to provide a streamlined shrink-wrap fit.
“I’ve worked closely with Nike designers for years to provide input on the way this uniform should be built,” said Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson. "The way a uniform fits really does matter when you’re out there on the field. I think fans will love the new design – it’s the way a Viking is supposed to look.”
As the official uniform supplier of the NFL, Nike provides all on-field, baselayer, sideline and practice wear for the league’s 32 teams. The new Vikings fan jerseys are scheduled to go on sale April 25 at nike.com, NFLShop.com and Vikings.com, and at broader retail locations including Nike stores beginning April 26.
NIKE ELITE 51 UNIFORM FEATURES
- LIGHTER –The Nike jersey and pant, wet or dry are lighter than previous versions.
- FLYWIRE TECHNOLOGY — Eliminates layers, reduces weight and provides lockdown fit to keep the jersey in place.
- ZONED MESH VENTILATION – Provides cooling zones for optimal thermoregulation.
- ZONED STRENGTH — High tenacity stretch material for lightweight lockdown strength.
- CUT FOR MOBILITY – Four-way stretch, hydrophobic materials enable range of motion wet or dry.
- STRETCH TWILL NUMBERS – Four-way stretch even on numbering system.
- BASELAYER DEFLEX PADDING – Nike Pro Combat Hyperstrong baselayer with integrated, lightweight Deflex padding offering customizable flexible protection.
- DEFLEX PADDING — Lightweight, flexible impact protection integrated into top “hit zone” areas.
- ALUMINUM D-RING BELT — Aircraft-grade aluminum D-ring belt reduces weight.
- NIKE VAPOR GAME SOCK – A highly innovative sock designed specifically for football. The knee-high design combines compression, Nike Pro DeFlex-inspired cushioning, mesh venting and structure precisely where needed.
The uniform also features the Nike Vapor Jet 2.0 Glove, a lightweight, breathable and articulated fit combined with innovative Magnigrip material on the palms and between the fingers for a tacky grip suitable for all weather conditions. The new team logo is featured prominently on the palm when athletes interlock both hands.
The Nike Alpha Pro Cleat is designed for explosive speed with an adaptive Nike Flywire support structure that creates an anatomical fit resulting in more stability while locking the foot in place.