French Champions Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) next season will play in a new predominantly white away kit that features modern colour-blocking of red, white and blue to celebrate the side’s famous club colours. Young PSG fan Karim, winner of the #ICICESTPARIS contest, travelled to Sweden with Nike and the club on their pre-season tour to help unveil the new away kit.
The shirt has a tri-colour design — blue at the top, white in the middle and red at the bottom — giving it a youthful and passionate appearance that reflects club’s attachment to Paris.
The colour-blocking evolved from the distinctive vertical stripes that have traditionally appeared on the home shirt, with each colour representing a different club value: blue for grandeur, red to convey passion and white for respect.
Jersey details include a blue ribbed V-neck collar that blends into the top of the shirt, and a contrasting ribbed blue cuff on the sleeves.
The new away shorts are white with a thin blue stripe along each side, and the socks are white with a blue-and-red band at the top, and the more traditional blue-and red-stripe on the back to give players greater visual acuity on the pitch.
The new kit showcases Nike's committment to aiding the performance of players with key technological benefits:
- The kit is made from recycled polyester as part of Nike’s commitment to produce performance apparel with reduced environmental impact. The shirt and shorts of each kit are made from up to thirteen recycled plastic water bottles.
- In the pioneering process, plastic bottles are chopped into flakes, then melted down to form yarn that is spun into fabric, reducing energy consumption by up to 30 percent compared to manufacturing virgin polyester.
- Since 2010, Nike has diverted more than 1.1 billion plastic bottles from landfill through the use of recycled polyester.
FABRIC AND NIKE DRI-FIT
- The kit weighs just 150 grams, 23 percent lighter than previous Nike kits. It also boasts a 20 percent stronger knit structure and significantly improved stretch.
- The fabric uses Nike Dri-FIT technology to draw sweat away from the body through the fabric where it can evaporate, to keep players cool and dry.
- Ventilation zones, consisting of tiny laser-cut holes, feature under the arms on both sides, as well as at the shorts waistband, to allow additional comfort and cooling. A mesh panel across the entire back increases air circulation.
FIT AND CONSTRUCTION
- The shirt has been crafted with bonded T-bars to support the seams at key points and inner welded seams with a clean finish to give a more striking appearance, while also increasing comfort and performance.
NIKE PRO COMBAT
- To complete the ultimate playing uniform for modern football, Nike Pro Combat baselayer is supplied to be worn underneath the match-day kit, offering players greater comfort and impact protection.
- The Nike Pro Combat range of long-sleeve and short-sleeve tops made of sweat-wicking fabric allows players to keep cool and dry in hot conditions, and warm and dry when the weather becomes cold. The slider shorts feature extra padding and thigh protection to absorb impact so players can go to ground and tackle with greater confidence.